Transitional Certificate highlights:
• Transitional certificates may be issued for the role of teacher, ESA, or administrator whose certificates are subject to renewal under WAC 181-79A-240 and expire or lapse by June 30, 2022. Individuals whose continuing certificate has lapsed or expired continue to be eligible for transitional certificates.
• Educators may only be issued one transitional certificate per role in their lifetime. Educators who previously held a transitional certificate are ineligible for reissuance of the same certificate role type.
• The transitional certificate is issued upon request by a school district, approved private school, or educational service district upon request for an individual whose regular certificate has expired or lapsed by June 30, 2022. Once a district, approved private school or educational service district has requested the transitional certificate for educators, they will need to complete the application through the OSPI Certification Office.
• Educators whose regular certificates has expired or lapsed by June 30, 2022 must apply for the transitional certificate no later than June 30, 2024
• Districts may request transitional certificates for individuals whose certificates are subject to renewal under WAC 181-79A-240 and expire or lapse by June 30, 2022. Districts may request transitional certificates no later than December 31, 2023.
• Educators must apply for their transitional certificate through OSPI by June 30, 2024. Educators are eligible for the transitional certificate if their current certificate expires or lapses by June 30, 2022.
For more information, please refer to the FAQ link listed in the PESB announcement below as it has some key points shared.
Educators are encouraged to contact OSPI’s Professional Certification Office with any questions that pertain to their individual records and certifications. Their contact information is:
Professional Certification Office
360-725-6400 - Office
360-586-0145 - Fax
PO Box 47200
Olympia, WA 98504-7200